PhD Program: Public Health
Andrea Lopez is a doctoral student in Public Health. Prior to joining UC Merced, she worked as a Project Manager at the RAND Corporation and at the University of California, San Francisco. She holds a MPH from UCLA and a BS in Human Biology from Brown University.
Andrea’s research interests include community-based participatory research, rural health, chronic disease prevention and control, and program evaluation.
Honors and Awards
University of California Eugene Cota-Robles Fellowship
- Cohen A, Lopez A, Malloy N and Morello-Frosch R. Surveying for Environmental Health Justice: Community Organizing Applications of Community-Based Participatory Research. Environmental Justice 2016.
- Chan B, Lopez A, Sarkar U. The canary in the coal mine tweets: social media reveals public perceptions of non-medical use of opioids. PLoS 2015.
- Gertler S, Coralic Z, Lopez A, Stein J, Sarkar U. Root Cause Analysis of Ambulatory Adverse Drug Events that Present to the Emergency Department. Journal of Patient Safety 2014.
- Bailey SC, Wolf MS, Lopez A, Russell A, Chen AH, Schillinger D, Moy G, Sarkar U. Expanding the Universal Medication Schedule: a patient-centered approach. BMJ Open. 2014 Jan 10;4(1)
- Lopez A and Seligman HK. Online Grocery Store Coupons Heavily Weighted Toward Unhealthy Foods, Preventing Chronic Disease 2014.
- Seligman HK, Bolger AF, Guzman D, Lopez A, Bibbins-Domingo K. Monthly variation in hospital admission for hypoglycemia in low-income households. Health Affairs 2014.
- Detz A, Lopez A, Sarkar U. Long-term doctor-patient relationships: patient perspective from online reviews. J Med Internet Res. 2013;15(7):e131.
- Lyles CR, Schillinger D, Lopez A, Handley M, Ratanawongsa N, Sarkar U. Safety events during an automated telephone self-management support intervention. J Diabetes Sci Technol. 2013 May;7(3):596-601.
- Lyles CR, Drago-Ferguson S, Lopez A, Seligman HK. Nutritional assessment of free meal programs in San Francisco. Prev Chronic Dis. 2013 May 30;10:E90.
- Schickedanz A, Huang D, Lopez A, Cheung E, Lyles CR, Bodenheimer T and Sarkar U. Access, Interest, and Attitudes Toward Electronic Communication for Health Care Among Patients in the Medical Safety Net. J Gen Intern Med, 2013;
- Lyles C, Lopez A, Pasick R and Sarkar U. "5 mins of uncomfyness is better than dealing with cancer 4 a lifetime”: An exploratory qualitative analysis of cervical and breast cancer screening dialogue on Twitter. Journal of Cancer Education Nov. 2012.
- Lopez A, Patterson AM, John V and Sarkar U. Brief Report: Electronic Health Record Implementation in Outpatient Safety-Net Settings in California. Journal of Health for the Poor and Underserved, Nov. 2012.
- Lopez A and Seligman HK. Clinical Management of Food-Insecure Individuals with Diabetes. Diabetes Spectrum, 2012; 25 (14-18)
- Cohen A, Lopez A, Malloy N and Morello-Frosch R. Our environment, our health: a community-based participatory environmental health survey in Richmond, California. Health Educ Behav, 2012; 39 (2), 198-209.
- Seligman HK, Jacobs EA, Lopez A, Tschann J and Fernandez A. Food insecurity and glycemic control among low-income patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care, 2012; 35 (2), 233-8.
- Lopez A, Detz A, Ratanawongsa N and Sarkar U. What patients say about their doctors online: a qualitative content analysis. J Gen Intern Med, 2012; 27 (6), 685-92.
- Brenner S, Detz A, Lopez A, Horton C and Sarkar U. Signal and noise: applying a laboratory trigger tool to identify adverse drug events among primary care patients. BMJ Qual Saf, 2012; 21 (8), 670-5.
- Sarkar U, Bonacum D, Strull W, Spitzmueller C, Jin N, Lopez A, Giardina TD, Meyer AN and Singh H. Challenges of making a diagnosis in the outpatient setting: a multi-site survey of primary care physicians. BMJ Qual Saf, 2012; 21 (8), 641-8.
- Sarkar U, Schillinger D, Lopez A and Sudore R. Validation of self-reported health literacy questions among diverse English and Spanish-speaking populations. J Gen Intern Med, 2011; 26 (3), 265-71.
- Sarkar U, Karter AJ, Liu JY, Adler NE, Nguyen R, Lopez A and Schillinger D. Social disparities in internet patient portal use in diabetes: evidence that the digital divide extends beyond access. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 2011; 18 (3), 318-21.
- Sarkar U, Lopez A, Maselli JH and Gonzales R. Adverse drug events in U.S. adult ambulatory medical care. Health Serv Res, 2011; 46 (5), 1517-33.
- Seligman HK, Jacobs EA, Lopez A, Sarkar U, Tschann J and Fernandez A. Food insecurity and hypoglycemia among safety net patients with diabetes. Arch Intern Med, 2011; 171 (13), 1204-6.
- Sarkar U, Lopez A, Black K and Schillinger D. The wrong tool for the job: diabetes public health programs and practice guidelines. Am J Public Health, 2011; 101 (10), 1871-3.
- Sarkar U, Karter AJ, Liu JY, Adler NE, Nguyen R, Lopez A and Schillinger D. The literacy divide: health literacy and the use of an internet-based patient portal in an integrated health system-results from the diabetes study of northern California (DISTANCE). J Health Commun, 2010; 15 Suppl 2 183-96.
- Cohen A, Lopez A, Marder S, Safane N, Clark M. Lessons from an introductory public health course. Academic Exchange Quarterly. 2010; 14(1): 158-163.